Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Meal Fit For A King

Tonight, we had an excellent dinner.  We had salmon, lentils (fixed sweet and sour style-more on that later), nectarines, and tomatoes, which were fresh from the garden, and especially tasty.

Now, if I didn't live Life With Rachael, that would probably be the end of this post.  Which would be fairly boring.
Fortunately for both of us, I do live Life With Rachael.  Which is many things, but boring usually doesn't make its way onto the list.
I was in the living room with a couple of our kids when I heard a stifled scream/shriek from the kitchen.  The smoke alarm hadn't went off yet, so I figured there was probably not a fire.  But I was still a little concerned.  I ran over to the kitchen.  I heard Rachael saying, "I'm all right.  I'm all right."  Which is, of course, the one thing you should not say unless you want everyone to find out exactly what's going on.
Just as I walked through the doorway, Rachael relieved herself of her glasses and IPOD.  She did this almost as quickly as she can hang up the phone on me when I call her. 

She next started doing a slightly unusual dance in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Now Rachael is definitely more prone to dance spontaneously than I am, but this dance did not seem like the normal, run-of-the-mill happy dance.  It looked more like the I'm-standing-on-the-hot-potato dance.  I'm not sure that's an official dance, but that's what it looked like.
She started saying, 'It's down my shirt.  It's down my shirt.'  The next thing I know, that problem is solved as  both Rachael's shirts and 2 large pieces of semi-steaming salmon chunks are now residing on the kitchen floor.  I'm not quite sure how the salmon chunks somehow flew through the air and made their way down the front of Rachael's shirt, but that will remain a mystery for now. 

Being the kind and compassionate husband I am, I carefully placed her IPOD and glasses on the table and then I was immediately taking pictures.  My commitment to constantly wear a camera on my belt is truly paying off.  While I had to crop one of the pictures of Rachael, since her shirt was laying on our kitchen floor, I really wanted you to be able to see the look on her face as she realized I was snapping her picture.  ***Addendum- Rachael did not like the way her face looked in the picture and FORBADE me to upload it.  Something about teeth, and chins, and who knows what else.  I'm pretty sure if you pressure her enough, she may let me upload it though.  We'll see.***
Rachael left the kitchen, went to the bedroom, and soon returned.  The next time I saw her, she was pulling the neck of her shirt out, and blowing down the front of her shirt, trying to cool the burning sensation that evidentally was still bothering her.  I, of course, took a picture.

When the excitement finally calmed, the entire family settled down for a nice meal.  As mentioned, it was a fantastic meal consisting of salmon, lentils, nectarines, and tomatoes.  The lentils were the most interesting part of the meal.  They were fixed 'sweet-and-sour' style, and really tasted more like a topping than a side dish. 

And, of course, that's because they were.
Rachael had finished making them before she looked at the bottom of the recipe she was using to see that the recipe was created as a topping to go over rice.
Unfortunately, we had no rice.
This is not the first time Rachael has seen the big picture while missing a few of the small details.  We'll have a post on that in the future.
As often happens when one is more creative than systematic, we were faced with the challenge of making do with what we had.  As they say, 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'
We quickly discovered that while the sweet-and-sour lentils were intended as a topping for rice, they worked just as well as a topping for salmon.
Just one more exciting day that would otherwise probably be a little bit boring if it were not for living Life With Rachael.
For Rachael's version of this story, as well as a few other details from her day today, check out her post on her blog, My Poor Husband.

**If you liked this, be sure to click the 'follow' button and share it with your friends.  Also, all comments are welcome!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback!