Monday, August 31, 2009

Vindication! Oh, yeah, Baby!

I remember the day we bought our Brand New 2006 Honda Accord to this day. We had searched for a slightly used car, but Hondas maintain their value so well that we found better value in buying a new one. This was going to be Rachael's car and we decided to get the nice one. EX, with leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc.

Of course, we made the nieve statement that all people do when buying a new car.

"It's going to look just like this for as long as we own it!"

C'mon, am I the only one to ever make such a ludicrous statement?

Anyway, the car became even more Rachael's than I'd first counted on. In fact, 3 or 4 months may sometimes go by between times I'm even in the car. I always anticipate the look on Rachael's face when I mention we may have to take her Honda somewhere.

"You mean.... you're going to get in my car?"

As soon as she realizes I am, she usually always rushes out the front door with two trash bags to clear an extra spot for me. This involves removing approximately 33 pounds of papers, boxes, and assorted other items Rachael can not live without having within arms reach while driving.

About once every few weeks, Rachael loses her keys. Now, they usually turn up, but even more consistent is the conversation that ensues.

"Haven't you found your spare key yet?"

"There never was a spare key."

"Hon, I know there was a spare key, because I specifically remember them giving us both of them."

"There never was a spare key!" Now a little more insistent.

Of course, it's hard to win that argument.

Until today.

Today, Pastor Ken became one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. Rachael had a flat tire, he helped her change it, and she found her spare key inside the owner's manual which was inside the glove box.

Now, seeing as how it's been in the glove box for 4 years now, I know most of you are probably wondering why she hasn't found it before now. To answer that, you'd have to realize that Rachael's glove box and Rachael's trunk are quite similar and I didn't even know there WAS a bottom to Rachael's trunk. Hidden in the midst of all the other glove-box treasures was the spare key the dealership never gave us.

OK, OK, I know I shouldn't want to say 'neener, neener' but there's still a part of me that feels the urge.

I wonder if I called it Righteous Vindication if it would make it sound any better? Kind of like Righteous Anger?

For Rachael's side of the story, be sure to check out her post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback!